lunes, 18 de febrero de 2008

la musica mexicana y quinceaneras

I come from a predominantly white community, so I think I lived a sheltered childhood.  The only Spanish music I had ever listened to before this assignment was during high school, I was in one of my good friends quinceanera.  
The Quinceanera was a great experience for me.  I learned a lot about Spanish culture during that event.  I mostly learned how important religion is to Spanish Americans; mass was close to 2 hours long.  Then when we finally got to the hall where the dance part was it was so much fun.  The music and doing the cumbia and the other dances (can't remember the names) was so much fun.  There were dances that everyone else at the party knew already, but they all waited and watched us do our show and then everyone was dancing.  I also learned that Tradition and Family is very important in Spanish culture.  My friend April's whole family was there, including Aunts, Uncles, and third cousins.  It's different from American culture because its more focused on immediate family.
I also looked into some Spanish music and more of the cumbia on youtube-- I find it really interesting that the spanish music seems to flow better than it would in English.  I also find it interesting that it rhymes.  I figured that it would be easier to make it sound good in Spanish but harder to make it rhyme and make sense.  

No hay comentarios: