domingo, 17 de febrero de 2008

Pan's Labyrinth

I watched Pan's Labyrinth this weekend, and I paid attention to verb endings a lot (trying, in vain, to understand most of the movie, as it was in Spanish). There were way more possible conjugations than I thought--thank goodness for the translation below, or I would've had no idea what some of the words would've meant.

More than that, I think it was a good indirect way to learn about Spain's turbulent civil-war filled past. It seems like, culture to culture, generals are the same, and war atrocities are the same.

I wonder if Hispanic perceptions of frightening things are different than mine--because Pan was TERRIFYING!

It was also a good way to see ties between Spanish fantasy and other fantasy--the mandrake was present in this movie, as well as in Harry Potter. While they did different things in each movie, they both took the form of a rather ugly baby in both.

No hay comentarios: