domingo, 17 de febrero de 2008

A Puerto Rican friend of mine likes to throw in some Spanish words when she's talking to me in English, partly because she knows I'm learning Spanish, and partly because she just talks naturally and comfortably that way. It's pretty cute and funny because I really have to listen to keep up before she gets carried away. The mixing of words from different languages doesn't just happen with Spanish and English, although living in Texas, that is the most common mix. Sometimes, there are some things that can't be described accurately using English, so people use a word from their native language that is more accurate. Some English words also just don't have that "tang" or "oomph" to the meaning, so a word from a different language is used. Other times there is more enjoyment and satisfaction of pronouncing a word in another language besides English that makes people want to mix them up. I haven't heard much Spanglish or slang like that, but hopefully once I learn more Spanish I will be able to pick up some.

No hay comentarios: