lunes, 18 de febrero de 2008

Shakira

I knew little about Shakira or much Spanish music in general regardless of the fact that I've lived in South Texas my entire life. Sure I sang along to the hits like "Hips Don't Lie" and even just enjoyed the flow of Tejano music from bands such as the Kumbia Kings. It wasn't until I met my current girlfriend, however; until I really experienced where singers like Shakira started before they became pop sensations in the United States. My girlfriend introduced me to Shakira songs and music videos. "Inevitable" and "No Creo" are two of her favorites. I found it interesting that though I only understood certain phrases and words, I could still understand what the theme of the song was without even watching the music video. The inflections in Shakira's voice and the passion that is often associated with Latin music flows thick in her songs. Just listening to her passion and not even considering word meaning, one can determine if its a song about her cheating boyfriend or love at first sight. Although Shakira goes for sex appeal in her music videos, it struck me as much more inventive and classy than the American pop singers' music videos of today. However, the themes of Shakira and those of American pop singers are very similiar and relevant to what teenagers and young adults are interested in hearing.

No hay comentarios: