lunes, 31 de marzo de 2008

Transportation: Capital Metro Vs. Mexico City Metro

Gas is definately expensive...So, I was waiting for the 1L or 1M bus, which are 2 of the busses that basically go straight down Guadalupe and back; being late, I began sort of pacing back and forth looking at my watch, wondering why the busses in Austin never run on time (like in Dallas). As I was pacing back and forth I noticed I was actually walker FASTER than the cars on the road...I soon decided to walk to my destination....it beats the bus.

Probably--Austin's traffic makes our rush hour last 2 hours longer than it needs to last. Sounds familiar? In the 60's Mexico City was actually suffering a similar plight. Traffic was so bad in fact, the walking actually had a faster circulation time than taking the car. In an effort to fix the problem, they constructed what is now the Mexico City Metro (in the process they 2 archeological ruins, 1 aztec idol, the bones of a mammoth, and set the record for fastest construction ever a subway at 1km of metro each month). Mexico City is not only the cheapest Subway systems in the world, but it serves the 5th highest amount of people in the world.

Now how about Capital Metro? Well...its not really ranked in anything. But good news is that they are trying to make lanes called "bus lanes" and they are trying to start busses that get "light signal" priority in that at intersections they dont have to wait as long...but I kind of dont see that happening. But, until then...all we can do is stay stuck in traffic ...and wish we were in Mexico City.

No hay comentarios: