lunes, 14 de abril de 2008

Please Don't Stop the Music

I find the compatriotism among the people from Spanish speaking countries to be extraordinary.

When the substitute was speaking about things people in Puerto Rico do during their leisure time, she mentioned that if you were friendly with and knew the locals, you could get all the $1.25 beers that you could handle. While this price, compared to a Thursday night on 6th, is not that amazing, the fact that there is such a genuine allegiance to one another in Puerto Rico is extremely amazing.

Also, in another classic example of public spirit, someone in class once mentioned remembering having seen a sign that read, "Watermelons: $5" and then right next to it seeing a sign that read, "Sandía: $2".

To me this is fascinating and to put it all in perspective, I wanted to see how Americans reacted to such remarkable patriotism.

With my newfound knowledge of this secret Puerto Rican brotherhood and with hopes of potentially scoring some sweet deals, I attempted to find a similar American brotherhood at one of the local Austin area stores.

Complete with my favorite "I wasn't earned to be burned" trucker hat and a bald eagle T-shirt, I headed to my local Best Buy and struck up an amazingly engaging conversation with the salesman.

For what seemed like hours, we talked about things like The Statue of Liberty, supporting our troops, George Washington, those little American flags, big American flags, Mount Rushmore, yankees, The Yankees and Thomas Jefferson.

Ultimately, the salesman informed me that despite the fact that I spoke fluent English and knew the locals, a PS3 was still $400, and I walked away empty handed.

I think the lesson here is that Americans aren't nearly as friendly as Puerto Ricans.

No hay comentarios: