lunes, 14 de abril de 2008

Puerto Rico

We only had a substitute for a day, but I feel like I learned so much in that 50 minute time period. Our substitute, Lorna, not only was easy to relate to, but very honest as well. At first many of us were intimidated by her. After a time, though, we were more intrigued than anything else. I became very interested in learning more about how she had grown up. I was surprised at how frank she was about the political situation. She said that politics was basically all people talked about there, at any time of day.
She also talked about how her favorite thing about the country was the people. She said that there were always people in the streets and that in general, they were very accommodating and friendly. I was surprised to hear that unlike the US, the annual income there was around $30,000, which is significantly lower than that of the US. This is surprising because Puerto Rico is a territory belonging to the US. I think that more that anything else, she helped us gain a new perspective and hear both sides on the issue of Puerto Rico's independence. It not only opened my eyes but evaluate what I feel on the topic as well.

No hay comentarios: