lunes, 14 de abril de 2008

Puerto Rico

I realized something when Lorna was telling us about Puerto Rico on Friday. Unlike the Hispanic environment that I grew up in and am used to, Puerto Ricans are constantly engaged in talking about politics. Where I grew up, politics was talked about in hushed tones as if it was offensive. But in Puerto Rico, people talk about politics all the time. They talk about it on the street, in their house, among family members. Maybe because in the valley (where I'm from) there isn't a really big locally political problem such as trying to gain independence or not. I was just astounded at this aspect of Hispanic culture.
That's really the only difference I could deduce from Lorna's speech. Other than that, my family is also very hospitable and welcoming to others.

No hay comentarios: